A World Without Heroes
Jason Walker has often wished his life could be a bit less predictable—until a routine day at the zoo ends with Jason suddenly transporting from the hippo tank to a place unlike anything he’s ever seen. In the past, the people of Lyrian welcomed visitors from the Beyond, but attitudes have changed since the wizard emperor Maldor rose to power. The brave resistors who opposed the emperor have been bought off or broken, leaving a realm where fear and suspicion prevail.
In his search for a way home, Jason meets Rachel, who was also mysteriously drawn to Lyrian from our world. With the help of a few scattered rebels, Jason and Rachel become entangled in a quest to piece together the word of power that can destroy the emperor and learn that their best hope to find a way home will be to save this world without heroes.
- Aladdin |
- 464 pages |
- ISBN 9781416997986 |
- March 2011 |
- Grades 3 - 7 |
- Lexile ® 710L
Step Into the World of BEYONDERS: A WORLD WITHOUT HEROES
Hear an Excerpt
Reading Group Guide
Beyonders #1: A World Without Heroes
By Brandon Mull
1. We’re introduced to the ever-important Word at the very beginning of the book. In what ways does the Word hold power in the story? In what ways do words hold power in your life? Are there times when words can serve as weapons? When do words become tools for good?
2. If you were to choose one special word that would best describe or define you, what would it be? Explain the significance of your choice.
3. Jason learns about Lyrian’s history from the books the Loremaster shares with him. Afterwards, Jason asks him, “Who wrote the history I just read?” Why did Jason want to know that? Why would that question matter?
4. Jason and Rachel go on a quest for knowledge in A World Without Heroes as they search for the hidden syllables of the Word. How might you consider knowledge a prize in our world? Can knowledge ever be dangerous to us, as it is in Lyrian?
5. Reflect on Galloran’s definition of a hero. What is your definition of hero? Whom would you consider heroes in your life?
6. How did Jason and Rachel’s relationship change from the beginning of the book to the end? At what points did you notice a shift in how they interacted?
7. Compare and contrast Lyrian to our world. Consider Jason’s longings for certain see more