There's something to be said for simpler times, when our way of life was wholesome and healthy. There were less pesticides and growth hormones in our food. We were self-reliant and self-sustaining. It's easy to see why, with food costs on the rise, many people are returning to their roots-and root cellars-and finding solace in simple living. With Back to Basics: Traditional Wisdom
, now anyone can:
- Save excess fresh vegetables and fruits while maintaining texture and nutrition by preserving produce in the freezer
- Learn different canning methods for easy cooking and cupboard storage
- Grow fruits and vegetables in a space as small as a windowsill
- Turn fresh fruit into jams and jellies
- Utilize space by drying foods and creating cooking ingredients
- Make chutneys and relishes that will be a hit at every occasion
- Discover an economical way to preserve foods by creating a cold storage unit
- Quench thirst with homemade beverages
- Bring homemade wine, beer, and naturally flavored vodka to the next family gathering
- Also learn to raise chickens and honeybees, make your own cheese, and more.
This book has easy-to-follow step-by-step illustrated instructions and detailed information about specific fruit and vegetable preparation that will enable anyone to create a truly self-sustainable lifestyle.