A Reading Group Guide for: Blood Red Road
By Moira Young Pre-reading Questions:
1. To what extent should someone go to save a loved one?
2. Is one human life more valuable than another? Explain.
3. Discuss the idea of determining one’s own future versus the idea of one’s future being predetermined.
4. Are self-sacrifice and the human instinct to survive compatible? Explain. Discussion Topics:
1. Saba lives with her father, sister, and twin brother in Silverlake. Describe the setting and the family living conditions.
2. How would you characterize Saba’s relationship with her father? With her brother, Lugh?
3. Who is Procter John and why does Saba’s father not like him?
4. What happens to Saba’s family that changes their lives?
5. Characterize Emmi. Why is Saba angry with Emmi? How does Saba work through her feelings for Emmi?
6. Saba and Emmi travel to Crosscreek to the house of a family friend, Mercy. Contrast the setting of Silverlake with the setting of Crosscreek. How does this contrast contribute to the mood of the story? What symbolism can you associate with the two settings?
7. How is Mercy’s name symbolic? How does she differ philosophically from Saba’s father?
8. Why does Mercy give Saba the heartstone, and why is it important to Saba?
9. Saba and E