Blood Red Road
- reading group guide
- customer reviews
Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when four cloaked horsemen capture Lugh, Saba's world is shattered, and she embarks on a quest to get him back.
Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the outside world, Saba discovers she is a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba’s unrelenting search for Lugh stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.
Blood Red Road has a searing pace, a poetic writing style, and an epic love story—making Moira Young is one of the most exciting new voices in teen fiction.
Read an Excerpt
We ain’t had a drop of rain fer near six months now. Even the spring that feeds the lake’s startin to run dry. You gotta walk some ways out now to fill a bucket. Pretty soon, there won’t be no point in callin it by its name.
Every day Pa tries another one of his charms or spells. An every day, big bellied rainclouds gather on the horizon. Our hearts beat faster an our hopes rise as they creep our way. But, well before they reach us, they break apart, thin... see more
Hear an Excerpt
Reading Group Guide
Blood Red Road
By Moira Young
1. To what extent should someone go to save a loved one?
2. Is one human life more valuable than another? Explain.
3. Discuss the idea of determining one’s own future versus the idea of one’s future being predetermined.
4. Are self-sacrifice and the human instinct to survive compatible? Explain.
1. Saba lives with her father, sister, and twin brother in Silverlake. Describe the setting and the family living conditions.
2. How would you characterize Saba’s relationship with her father? With her brother, Lugh?
3. Who is Procter John and why does Saba’s father not like him?
4. What happens to Saba’s family that changes their lives?
5. Characterize Emmi. Why is Saba angry with Emmi? How does Saba work through her feelings for Emmi?
6. Saba and Emmi travel to Crosscreek to the house of a family friend, Mercy. Contrast the setting of Silverlake with the setting of Crosscreek. How does this contrast contribute to the mood of the story? What symbolism can you associate with the two settings?
7. How is Mercy’s name symbolic? How does she differ philosophically from Saba’s father?
8. Why does Mercy give Saba the heartstone, and why is it important to Saba?
9. Saba and E see more