Heart attacks and strokes can affect almost anyone-at any time. In the United States, somebody dies from a heart-related event every minute and from a stroke every three to four minutes. However, the good news is that most of the causes are preventable. In fact, small lifestyle adjustments can dramatically improve cardiovascular health. Conquering Heart Attack & Stroke
brings you a 10-step self-defense plan that will arm you with powerful knowledge and simple strategies that will diminish your risk of falling victim to cardiovascular disease. You'll soon discover that you won't be giving up the little pleasures that make life worthwhile.
This practical guide tells you how everyday indulgences, such as consuming red wine or dark chocolate, having a massage, or laughing with friends, can actually aid you in the fight. Inside you'll find personal reports that provide real-life accounts of others' experiences and the lessons they learned; these are coupled with "Secret Weapon" sidebars that reveal little-known facts that can boost your chances of a long, active, and happy life. The self-defense plan includes:
- Step 1: Know What You're Up Against-Discover nine everyday lifestyle changes that could save your life. Did you know that just nine factors account for 90 percent of all first-time heart attacks?
- Step 2: Recognize the Danger Signs-Know the common, less common, and deceiving symptoms and know how to take action. Did you know, for example, that if you perform chest compressions to the Bee Gee's tune "Stayin' Alive," you'll be close to the ideal rhythm for CPR?
- Step 3: Assess Your Risk-Assess your lifestyle choices with a series of questionnaires. Did you know that losing abdominal fat can dramatically lower your risk of having a stroke or a mini-stroke?
- Step 4: Make Your Personal Plan-Take stock of your individual risk factors and how to tackle them. Did you know that learning to play a musical instrument could be good for your heart?
- Step 5: Discover the Pleasures of Healthy Eating-Learn how to cut through the general confusion of good nutrition. Did you know that persimmons contain a magic cocktail of atherosclerosis-busting chemicals?
- Step 6: Reach Your Target Weight-Discover the foods that fight "middle-age spread." Did you know that getting a good night's sleep can build resistance to food cravings?
- Step 7: Get in Shape-Find out how to incorporate exercise into your existing lifestyle, including the basic workouts we provide. Did you know that every two hours of standing or walking reduces your risk of obesity by nine percent?
- Step 8: Safeguard Your Body-Follow these tips to avoid toxins, inflammations, and conditions that put your arteries at risk. Did you know that exposure to cold weather puts a strain on the heart?
- Step 9: Relax and Enjoy Life-Take control of factors that can raise blood pressure. Did you know that a stressful relationship at home can raise your risk of having a heart attack or stroke by a third?
- Step 10: Make Your Plan Life-Long-Discover how to deal with setbacks and set up smart goals for success. Did you know that people with confidence in their ability to exercise regularly are less likely to give it up?