Reading Group Guide -- Eugena Pilek's Cooperstown
1) At the end of the first chapter we are told that Frank couldn't stand missing history. Now that we know the contents of the document and what he and his pals believed was on it, what history do you believe Frank was referring to? In what sense would he have been missing out on history?
2) In the beginning of the book Chylak had a different opinion about the residents of Cooperstown, how do you think his opinion has changed? Has your opinion about the residents of Cooperstown changed as well?
3) Discuss the father-son relationships between the residents of Cooperstown. Do you see any similarities between them? Although new to the town is Chylak's relationship with his son in any way similar to that of the fathers and sons raised in Cooperstown?
4) Considering the town of Cooperstown relies heavily on its baseball history and attractions to bring in tourists to further their economic growth discuss why some residents were so against the construction of a baseball theme park. Do you agree or disagree with their point of view?
5) Frank tells the tourists on page 5 that Cooperstown is "a town built upon myths". This same analogy is used to describe Manny on pg 51. Discuss the similarities between Manny and Cooperstown. Why would this analogy be used to describe the town and a man like Manny?
6) On page 9 Pilek tells us that "In Frank's mind, they were their own inaugural club, the real McCoys