The DASH Diet for Hypertension
More than 50 million Americans suffer from high blood pressure, and most of them control it by taking prescription drugs with potentially dangerous side effects; and nearly 24 million Americans have diabetes. But there is a natural and affordable alternative for managing these potentially deadly conditions, reducing your risk of heart failure, stroke, and kidney disease, and achieving the best health of your life: the DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) diet. Developed by a world-class team of doctors and nutritionists, the DASH diet gives you:
• Complete and balanced nutrition for safe short-term and long-term weight loss
• A scientifically proven approach to managing diabetes and heart disease without prescription medication
• A hearty and healthful selection of DASH menus, recipes, and grocery lists
• DASH exercise programs for everyday living
• Key tools including calorie worksheets and a formula to calculate body mass . . . and much more from this revolutionary program, which is recommended by the American Heart Association; the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; the American Society for Hypertension; and other leading medical authorities.
Read an Excerpt
The Isosceles Triangle Diet. The Bacon Grease and Beer Diet. We haven't heard of either of these diets, but it wouldn't surprise us to learn they existed! No doubt about it, our society has an insatiable appetite for wonder diets that will cure all our ills -- and the wackier the premise, the better. There's no reason to think people with high blood pressure are any different, especially when you consider this medical condition is so serious that it is a leading cause of heart attack, stroke, enlarged heart, and kidney damage.
If you bought this book hoping to find a blood-pressure-lowering diet... see more