Questions and Topics for Discussion about Life Doesn't Begin 5 Pounds from Now
1. How do you speak about your body around your family? How do you think it makes them feel? What kind of advice does the author give to you regarding talking and dealing with family members about weight/body issues?
2. The author talks about different ways to incorporate the people in your life and to make them an active part of your life plan. Have you ever gone on a diet with a family member? What was the experience like?
3. Think back to a time in your life when you had a major life accomplishment that was weight related. How can you use this accomplishment to attain further goals?
4. Review the "ten typical responses" box on pp. 32 -- 33 in Chapter 2. How do you usually respond to the question, "Do I look fat in this?" Practice the transitions on pp.34 -- 35. What are ways in which you can put these transitions into action?
5. What has the author said about today's media? How has it affected the overall culture of self-esteem?
6. How do you think women can navigate through all of the conflicting messages that they get from the media? Should they go on a "media diet"? What other tools or techniques can they use be a part of pop culture but not brainwashed by pop culture?
7. What is your initial reaction to the word fat? What are ways in which you can improve on your notions of the word, and how can you help people understand what k