A Simon & Schuster Parent/Teacher Discussion Guide to accompany Don’t Forget, God Bless Our Troops
by Jill Biden, illustrated by Raúl Colón Reading Group Guide created by Simon & Schuster Choose the questions and activities that work best with the age and interests of the child or class you are sharing this book with. Discussion Questions
This is a story about how a young girl deals with missing her father, a soldier away on active military duty. It celebrates the bravery and patience of military families and the kindness of neighbors and friends.
1. Why do you think the author titled the book Don’t Forget, God Bless Our Troops
? Do you think it has any special meaning or tells you something about the message of the book?
2. Do you know any kids who have family members in the military? Are their family members home or serving in another country?
3. Imagine you have a family member in the military—a mother, father, aunt, uncle, or cousin. What do you think that would be like?
4. How does reading Natalie’s story make you feel?
5. Natalie was called upon to be brave. Were you ever brave? Talk about it.
6. Natalie was also called upon to be patient. Did you ever have to be patient? Talk about it.
7. What was the voice that whispered to Natalie, “Be brave?” Do you have any voice i