A GUIDE FOR READING GROUPSTHE DOUBLE LIFE OF ZOE FLYNN
By Janet Lee CareyABOUT THE BOOK
When Zoe's father loses his teaching job and his bookstore, the family has to leave California and what Zoe calls the best house. Ending up in a small town in Oregon and living in the family van, Zoe struggles with dramatic change, embarrassment, and keeping the family's plight a secret from everyone. THEMES
Homelessness; Family life; School storiesDISCUSSION QUESTIONS
• Without naming names, have you ever had someone say something in class that embarrassed you, like Zoe's experience with the pink moon?
• If you had to leave your home, what would be the one thing you would absolutely have to take? Why?
• Why will Zoe not tell Aliya about how she is living? What are the parts of Zoe's life that are double?
• After reading about Zoe's family being homeless, has it made you look at homeless people and families in a different way?
• Are any of Zoe's plans, such as the lottery tickets and Galaxy Burgers, realistic?
• What is the secret doorway? How is it different for different people? ACTIVITIES
• Check out Helping Families Hopelink at www.hope-link.org
• Check out National Coalition for the Homeless at www.nationalhomeless.org
• Research what is in your town or community that helps homeless or poor families. Find out what these organizations need