Evidence of Things Unseen
QUESTIONS AND TOPICS FOR DISCUSSION Week 1: pg 3-115
1. Flash quotes Thomas Jefferson saying that all men are made of "poetry and mud." How would you interpret this statement? How does it reconcile Fos' memory of the young man in the battlefield who described making love to Emily Dickenson in his dream as "flying with your arms around the neck of a swan."
2. In The Evidence of Things Unseen
, Marianne Wiggins continues this extended metaphor on beauty and light. How does Fos' theory (p.13) explain or prove his desire for Opal?
3. How has Opal's new role as Fos' wife change her view of herself? What makes her insecure in her abilities?
4. On page 95, Opal goes on a mental rant about catfish in Tennessee. How's does Early's death relate to the abundance of catfish? Why do you think Opal makes the reference at the end of "The Curve of Binding Energy (2)"? Week 2: pg 117-259
1. Fos ponders the infinite possibilities of love on p. 119. Why do you think such a man of science who rejects religion would have such an unscientific view of love? What is it about love that is particularly interesting to Fos?
2. When Flash's brother comes into the studio, Flash's past begins to unfurl and lead Opal to speculate Flash's motives and intentions. In Flash's brother, Opal sees "Chance". What is it about the