A Reading Group Guide to Fever
by Lauren DeStefano
Guide written by Pam B. Cole, Professor of English Education & Literacy, Kennesaw State University, Kennesaw, GAReReading Questions
1. Is freedom a right or privilege?
2. Is freedom worth fighting for?
3. To what extent will individuals go to be free? Discuss examples. Discussion Questions
1. Having stolen a boat, Rhine and Gabriel are on the run. From whom are they running and why? Where are they planning to go?
2. Describe Madame Soleski and the carnival world she rules. Why does she hold Rhine and Gabriel hostage?
3. In what way is Rhine different from the other girls under Madame Soleski’s care? How do the other girls and boys treat Rhine and Gabriel?
4. Who is Maddie and how does she become separated from her mother? Why is she a vital character in the story?
5. Maddie is a young child, yet she has learned to be resourceful to survive. Cite evidence from the text to support this statement.
6. Why does Lilac want to leave with Maddie? Does she make a good decision in attempting to leave? Explain.
7. How do Rhine and Gabriel manage to escape from Madame Soleski? Might they have been able to escape on their own? Did they make a wise decision to run? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
8. In desperation Rhine and Gabriel seek shelter at the home of Annabel