This reading group guide for The First Affair includes discussion questions and ideas for enhancing your book club. The suggested questions are intended to help your reading group find new and interesting angles and topics for your discussion. We hope that these ideas will enrich your conversation and increase your enjoyment of the book.
Topics & Questions for Discussion
1. Early on, Brooke tries to give Jamie some advice about how to conduct herself professionally, saying, “Being charming….doesn’t inspire confidence.” Do you agree? Do you think that the same statement applies to men as it does for women?
2. Is Jamie a victim? What responsibility does she bear?
3. In what ways does Jamie take after her mother? Do you think that the scandal brings her closer to Erica and to her father? Consider how the dynamics and alliances within Jamie’s family evolve as the narrative progresses.
4. As you were reading, who did you suspect divulged Jamie’s secret?
5. Discuss the connection that Jamie and Greg shared. How mutual was it? Do you think it ever evolved out of lust to love?
6. To what extent did you feel that Jamie’s experience with Mike shaped her perception of how romantic relationships are conducted?
7. What do you think the novel is saying about the relationship between power and sex?
8. Discuss the gifts that