Five Little Peppers and How They Grew
- Aladdin |
- 352 pages |
- ISBN 9781416916178 |
- June 2006 |
- Grades 4 - 7
Reading Group Guide
ABOUT THIS BOOK
The Pepper children -- Ben, Polly, Joel, Davie, and Phronsie -- live in the Little Brown House with their hard-working "Mamsie." The Peppers are poor, but their love for one another and enthusiasm for living keep them happy. When a boy their age, Jasper King, comes to stay in nearby Hingham, Ben and Polly strike up a friendship with him. Can the Peppers help Jasper out of his loneliness? Can he help them out of their poverty?
- Why does Mrs. Pepper say that her children "haven't had any bringing up; they've just scrambled up"? What would she most like to give them if she could?
- How is each Pepper affected by the measles? Whose sickness is worst? Who takes care of the Peppers when they are sick?
- What is Polly's old stove like? Why does she need a new stove, and how does she get one?
- What makes the Peppers decide to celebrate Christmas for the first time? What happens when they do?
- What worries Polly about leaving her family and the Little Brown House?
- Describe Jasper's father, Mr. King. How does he become friends with Phronsie? Why does he want the Peppers to come and live with him?
- What do we learn about the Peppers and the Kings at the end of the book? How will this news change the relationship between the two families?