A Reading Group Guide for The Flame of Olympus
by Kate O’Hearn Discussion Questions
1. What were your first impressions of Paelen? How did your opinion of him change through the course of the book? In general, would you characterize him as a villain or a hero?
2. The storm at the beginning of the book causes a massive blackout in New York City. Have you ever experienced a blackout? What things can people do to remain safe during a blackout? What precautions can you take, before and during severe storms?
3. When Emily meets Pegasus on the roof of her building, she “felt her world changing.” Have you ever experienced a moment that felt life-changing? What was the moment, and how did it affect your life?
4. When we meet Joel, he is angry and withdrawn. What causes his tough exterior to wear off?
5. Joel knows a lot about Olympus from studying Roman (and Greek) myths. What is a myth? Why do myths exist? What purpose do they serve?
6. Each Olympian possesses a special power or strength—even Paelen, the thief! What power or strength would you choose for yourself, if you lived on Olympus?
7. Although Emily and Joel are not Olympians, they demonstrate remarkable qualities. What earthly
power or strength would you say they possess, respectively?
8. Kate O’Hearn crafted bold, sensitive, and m