Harville Hendrix has illuminated the paths to healthy, loving relationships in his New York Times
bestsellers Getting the Love You Want
and Keeping the Love You Find.
Now, with his coauthor and wife, Helen Hunt, he brings us to a new understanding of the most profound love of all -- by helping parents nurture their own development as they encourage emotional wholeness in their children.
This groundbreaking book offers a unique opportunity for personal transformation: by resolving issues that originated in our own childhood, we can achieve a conscious, and thus healthier, relationship with our children, regardless of their age. Harville Hendrix and Helen Hunt help us explore:
- The Imago -- the fantasy partner that our unconscious mind constructs from those we loved as a child, a that has guided our search for a life partner
- Maximizer and Minimizer parents -- the defensive styles that internally shape what we say and how interact with our children
- A Parenting Process that helps to end the "cycle of wounding" -- the handing-down of wounding we received as children -- as we raise our own children
- Safety, Support, and Structure -- how to give children what they really need from us
- Modeling Adulthood -- using our healed sense of self as a model for our children.
With other practical, insightful approaches that can powerfully shape the parent-child bond, Giving the Love that Heals
gives us the keys to helping our children to become healthy, responsible, and caring people.