This reading group guide for Hazel Creek includes discussion questions. The suggested questions are intended to help your reading group find new and interesting angles and topics for your discussion. We hope that these ideas will enrich your conversation and increase your enjoyment of the book. Topics & Questions for Discussion
1. What surprised you about life on Hazel Creek?
2. Did you have any misperceptions about mountain people? If so, what were they and how did this book change them or support them?
3. With which character do you most closely identify and why? What do you see as his or her strengths and weaknesses?
4. Which of the Randolph sisters did you like the most and why? Do you have any predictions about what may become of them in the next book?
5. The lumber company believed in the right of subduing the earth and ruling over it. Was their view correct? Can you think of any verses to support that belief? What obligations do we have to wisely care for the earth and natural resources? Can you think of any Bible verses that support your view?
6. Many of the characters in the book depended upon scripture memory as they faced various obstacles. Do you see this as a strength or a weakness, a comfort or a crutch? Do you believe you need to memorize more scripture or not? Why or why not?
7. Could you identify with Abbie’s reluctance to be forced to give gifts to the poor family