Book Club QuestionsJOURNAL: The Short Life and Mysterious Death of Amy Zoe Mason
By Kristine and Joyce Atkinson
1. Kristine and Joyce Atkinson say that they found the Journal
in an old desk that they purchased. Why do you think they read it? What circumstances would make it all right to read another's diary?
2. Amy feels that she is better able to express herself through art than by words alone. Can nonverbal expression be as effective in telling a story as the written word? Which illustrations tell you the most about Amy?
3. Bob seems very impressed by Vanessa. Does Amy have a reason to worry? Is she threatened by her husband's relationship with another woman? Amy is a devoted stay-at-home mother and Vanessa is a highly successful career woman. Do they see aspects of each other's lives that are appealing? Does society pit these types of women against each other? Can a woman give equal attention to motherhood and a career and be successful at both?
4. Amy has a lot of anxiety about others' expectations of her. Are her worries valid?
5. Amy's relationship with her husband is very important to her. Does the marriage seem as important to Bob? Does Amy invest more in maintaining the relationship than Bob?
6. At times, Amy is depressed and worries about being paranoid. Are we witnessing a fall into deep depression or sinister plotting against Amy? If it is a plot, who is responsible?
7. Amy includes old family recipes, old photograp