Learning Hiragana and Katakana is a systematic and comprehensive workbook that can be used along with a Japanese language textbook or as a stand-alone resource to learn the Japanese alphabet (kana).
Japanese has 3 writing systems, all used together: hiragana, katakana and kanji. Learning Japanese Hiragana & Katakana
helps newcomers learn how to use the first two systems' basic 92 characters to read, write and communicate. With expanded writing and preparation space, this revised edition offers ample provisions for practice, review and self-testing at several levels. It also includes a detailed reference section explaining the origin and function of kana and the various kana combinations. Complete with a detailed pronunciation guide, this volume will prove invaluable for beginning students or those accustomed to romanized Japanese (romanji
). This workbook is a perfect companion to Tuttle Publishing's Japanese Hiragana & Katakana for Beginners
or any other Japanese textbook on the market.This workbook includes:
- Systematic and comprehensive coverage of the two kana systems.
- Ample provision for kana practice, review, and self-testing at several levels
- Detailed reference section explaining the origin and function of Japanese kana, and the various kana combinations.
- Helpful additional information for language students accustomed to romanized Japanese.
- Japanese pronunciation guidance for all basic sounds.
- Vocabulary selected for usefulness and cultural relevance.