A Discussion Guide toThe Man in the Moon
(part of the Guardians of Childhood series)
by William JoyceDiscussion Questions
1. Before reading this with the group, ask them if they have ever heard of the Man in the Moon. Then ask them if they know of Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Jack Frost, Mother Goose, the Sandman, and the Tooth Fairy. What do they know about each one? Are there different stories about each of these characters? How do the students respond to the varying stories?
2. How did the Man in the Moon get his nickname? Who gave it to him?
3. Describe Pitch. What kind of person is he?
4. “Night-light, bright light, sweet dreams I bestow. Sleep tight, all night, forever I will glow” was a beloved song for MiM. What tune do you think this song can be sung to? Can you make up your own tune for this song?
5. Compare and contrast the Moon Clipper to the Nightmare Galleon. Which ship was the best one? Provide evidence from the book to support your answer.
6. After the great explosion on the moon, who took care of the infant MiM? What was his schooling like?
7. Would it be fun to jump around the moon and explore all the many tunnels and craters?
8. Moonbots, moonmice, lunar moths, and glowworms make good companions, so why was the Man in the Moon feeling lonely?
9. When the Man in the Moon discovered his parents’ telescope, what did MiM look for first?