A Reading Group Guide to They Call Me a Hero: A Memoir of My Youth
By Daniel Hernandez with Susan Goldman Rubin About the Book
Twenty-year-old Daniel Hernandez is an intern working in U.S. Representative Gabby Giffords’s office when she and several others are shot at a constituent event on January 8, 2011, in Tucson, Arizona. In his memoir, Hernandez describes the events that happened that day and the aftermath. He narrates his personal experiences growing up that led him to a career in public service and his passion for wanting to help people in turmoil. Prereading Questions
1. Discuss the characteristics of a hero.
2. What makes some individuals jump to the aid of those facing danger, while others do not? Questions for Discussion
1. Daniel Hernandez is a twenty-year-old intern working for Gabby Giffords on the day that she is shot in Arizona. How did he come to meet Gabby Giffords? What impressed him about her?
2. Describe the morning of the shooting. How does Daniel recall the events of that morning?
3. On the day of the shooting rampage, how did Daniel come to the aid of Gabby Giffords and other victims that day?
4. Why does Daniel contact Steve and Kelly Farley?
5. Daniel does not perceive himself as a hero. Why does he have this perspective? How does he define