This reading group guide for NO MERCY includes discussion questions and a Q&A with author Lori Armstrong. The suggested questions are intended to help your reading group find new and interesting angles and topics for your discussion. We hope that these ideas will enrich your conversation and increase your enjoyment of the book. For Discussion
1. After Mercy left the Army and her father died, what drew her back to South Dakota? Do you think she had something to prove, and to whom?
2. What has changed about her hometown since she left? What has remained the same?
3. In the Army, Mercy was required to keep a tough exterior. What effect does it have on her relationships after she leaves the Army? Did this change as the story unfolded?
4. Mercy’s Native American friend John-John told her “it’s our nature to reach out to you.” How does Mercy’s Indian heritage affect how she views her family and home?
5. What symbolism do you see in the South Dakota landscape in relation to Mercy’s life? The relationship between the white and Indian residents?
6. Discuss the attitudes of the white locals towards the Indians on the reservation and vice-versa. Did any of those feelings change throughout the course of the story?
7. How does the depressed economy of Eagle River Reservation affect the characters in the story? What do you think could be done to help the imp