This reading group guide for The Offering includes discussion questions, and a Q&A with author Angela Hunt. The suggested questions are intended to help your reading group find new and interesting angles and topics for your discussion. We hope that these ideas will enrich your conversation and increase your enjoyment of the book.
Topics & Questions for Discussion
1. Before reading this novel, had you ever given much thought to the ethics of surrogate parenting? What about the ethics of in vitro fertilization?
2. What do you think about Mandy’s motives for deciding to become a surrogate?
3. At one point, Mandy thinks, And, unlike Millie, I hoped my lifetime would hold far more significant feats than having someone else’s baby. Knowing what you know about Mandy, what do you think is the most significant thing she has accomplished thus far?
4. If you were in Mandy’s situation, what would you do about the child you suspected of being your biological son? Would you let him remain where he was or would you want to raise him yourself? Do you agree with Mandy’s decision?
5. Do you think Mandy really chose the best answer for Julien? What was the best answer for her?
6. When Mandy first finds out about Julien’s resemblance to Marilee, she believes “blood trumps everything” even though she wouldn’t have applied that princ