The Search for WondLa
- reading group guide
- customer reviews
Breathtaking two-color illustrations throughout reveal another dimension of Tony DiTerlizzi’s vision, and, for those readers with a webcam, the book also features Augmented Reality in several places, revealing additional information about Eva Nine’s world.
Read an Excerpt
Eva Nine was dying. The tiny scarlet dots on her hand mirrored the glowering eyes of the snake that had just bitten her.
Sitting down on the prickly ground of dead brown pine needles and small cones, she felt the curdled coil of nausea wind its way up her throat from her stomach.
She dropped the sweaty handful of moss that she had scooped up from the forest floor.
“Kindling,” her Omnipod had instructed her earlier in its chirpy voice. “Find a flammable substance such as dry twigs or moss to begin your fire.” The large gathering of boulders Eva had found had seemed like... see more
Reading Group Guide
The Search for WondLa
by Tony DiTerlizzi
1. What is a family? What elements make a family? Does color, size, or shape make a difference in what a family consists of? Is it possible for a robot to be a family member?
2. Was Muthr a good mother to Eva? Was she able to teach Eva life lessons? Did she have a loving spirit? How does a robot show love?
3. Muthr believed computer technology was omniscient. Was Muthr correct in her beliefs? Give examples from the book to verify your answers.
4. Muthr had a list of six basic survival skills for humans: 1. Trust technology 2. Signal others 3. Find shelter 4. Create fire 5. Procure food and water 6. Know first aid. How did these skills help or hinder Eva’s survival in the “real world”? Given her experience, did Eva find the list was in correct order for survival? Explain your answer.
5. Lewis and Clark, John Audubon and Charles Darwin, are all greatly admired people who captured “new” creatures, observed them, killed them, and dissected them all in an attempt to understand them. Are Zin, Besteel, Queen Ojo and the taxidermist any different from them?
6. As Eva begins her journey, she meets a cerulean named Rovender. Is there any significance to his name? As an adult, Rovender views his relationship to Eva very differently than Eva views their relationship. How do they view the see more
Behind the Book
Behind the Book - The Search for WondLa
Behind the Book: The Search for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi
As a kid who loved classics like The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Peter Pan and Wendy, and Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, I wondered why it was that I returned to these timeless tales again and again throughout my life. The answer is easy: There lies magic between those pages, places I loved visiting when I was ten years-old that I still love returning to today.
What if I could conjure up a st