A Reading Group Guide to Sever
By Lauren DeStefano Prereading Questions
1. To what extent would you go to save a loved one?
2. What does the title of the final book in DeStefano’s Chemical Garden Trilogy suggest about the plot? Discussion Questions
1. When the story opens, Rhine is in the hospital and is being visited by her husband, Linden, and her sister wife, Cecily. Why is she in the hospital?
2. Who is Reed and why does Linden suggest Rhine stay with him for a while?
3. Compare and contrast Cecily’s relationship with Linden and Rhine’s relationship with him. Would you say, or do you think, that Rhine is jealous of Cecily?
4. Is Cecily a good mother? Why or why not? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
5. Describe Reed’s house and the mood the description evokes in the reader. Identify words in the story that the writer uses to create this mood.
6. How does Reed’s house contrast with Vaughn’s house? How does this contrast contribute to the mood?
7. What role does Reed’s airplane play in the story?
8. Why does Vaughn come for Cecily? What power does Vaughn hold over her?
9. Why do Linden and Rhine rush Cecily to the hospital? How does the author create tension in this scene? Identify passages and/or dialogue tha