A Reading Group Guide toShooting Kabul
By N. H. Senzai
ABOUT THIS GUIDE
The discussion questions and activities that follow are intended to enhance your reading of Shooting Kabul
. Please feel free to adapt these materials to suit the needs of your classroom or community group.
1. Chapter 1 begins with the sentence, “It’s a perfect night to run away . . .” From what is the family running at the opening of the story? Describe at least three ways in which running away (or choosing to stay) is an important idea in terms of the novel’s plot and themes.
2. Describe the main character, Fadi. What are his interests and dreams? What roles does he play within both his immediate family and his larger Afghan community in California? How are Fadi’s family and community relationships similar to, or different from, your own?
3. Why did Fadi’s father, Habib, choose to return to Afghanistan? What does this choice tell you about Habib? If you were a member of Habib’s family, how would you have felt about this decision?
4. What happens to Fadi’s sister, Mariam, as the family embarks on their escape from Afghanistan? How are feelings of guilt and responsibility about this incident expressed differently by various members of the family?
5. What do Fadi’s memories of life with Mariam teach readers about Afghanistan? What type of doll is Gul