QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSION
1. In what ways, figuratively and literally, is Patty trapped? What are her means of escape? Do you think she's ever rescued? How does it make you, as the reader, feel that she seems to have no way out?
2. Patty and Rick have similar pasts, but each has a very different present and future. Where does she find the knowledge and strength to want to overcome her past and not repeat it? Why can't Rick seem to change despite the life he says he wants with Patty and Willie?
3. In life, Patty has experienced abuse, rejection, deception and conditional love from the people who are supposed to love her the most. Where does she learn to truly love, care for and protect Willie?
4. Throughout the book, Patty says that Rick loves her. Why is she so convinced? Does Rick love her? How would you characterize the relationship Rick and Patty have? At what point does Patty decide she's no longer afraid of being without Rick?
5. A lot of what Patty tells us about Rick's personality and character is genuinely sweet and kind. How does your perception of Rick change throughout the book? Did you find yourself wishing that he'd transformed his life or did you want Patty to get as far away from him as possible? In what ways does the author make each of the characters multi-dimensional?
6. Overall, what is Patty's life motivator? What fuels her to try new things and stand up for herself? Where does Patty's strength come from?
7. In some