The skies aren't friendly anymore!
Sweltering heat waves. Bone-chilling blizzards. Ferocious winds. Mighty peculiar weather we've been having, isn't it? Well, scientists predict that climate trends are only going to get stranger in the future. And in Skies of Fury, top science writers Patricia Barnes-Svarney and Thomas E. Svarney take you around the world, bringing you face-to-face with the eye of the storm, explaining the full range of weird weather affecting us. Discover the reasons behind:
* downdrafts, heat bursts, derechoes, and tornadoes
* monsoons, tropical storms, hurricanes, and rogue waves
* sandstorms, dust devils, wildfires, and polar ice deserts
* light pillars, diamond dust, and sun dogs
* mirages, UFOs, and green flashes
* torrential rainfall, ball lightning, and super showstorms
* flash flooding, hall, sea smoke, and smog
And much, much more!
Fully illustrated with photographs from key weather trackers, and packed with unusual factoids and records, Skies of Fury reveals the extremes to which Mother Nature can go in both her unparalleled beauty and her wanton destructiveness.