There may not be a cure for adolescence, but there are ways for parents of teens to survive these challenging years! Parenting expert Tom McMahon has gone straight to the source -- veteran moms and dads -- to try and solve the mysteries of raising a happy, healthy teenager. Gathered here are hundreds of practical, creative, and proven tips that cover all aspects of parenting a teen:
- Rules and Discipline -- Keep order while encouraging your child's independence, and pick your "battles" for what matters the most
- Talking and Listening -- Get to know when to sympathize, when to back off, and how to deal with your teen's inevitable moodiness
- School and Learning -- Free yourself from being the "homework cop," while nurturing both curiosity and enthusiasm
- Friendships and Relationships -- Use role-playing to handle peer pressure, and help nurture healthy relationships
- Drugs and Alcohol -- Pinpoint telltale signs of problems before they become serious, and stay involved by providing alternatives to parties with alcohol
- Responsibilities and Money -- Strike a balance between chores and allowance, and make part-time jobs an introduction to money management
- Self-Esteem and Values -- Enhance your teen's exposure to role models who will strengthen character and boost self-confidence.
Whatever the situation, Teen Tips
is full of down-to-earth, inventive advice. It's an indispensable guide to navigating the teen years -- and making the journey as rewarding for the parent as it is for the aspiring young adult.