- Simon & Schuster Audio |
- ISBN 9781442359970 |
- April 2013
Reading Group Guide
Topics & Questions for Discussion
1. Which of the women in The Best of Us did you mostidentify with, and why?
2. Discuss the four marriages that are depicted in The Best of Us. What kinds of adjectives would you use to describeeach of them? Do any of your past or currentrelationships have similarities to one or more of thesemarriages? Which marriage seems the strongest and themost appealing to you?
3. What do you think each woman learns from her time inJamaica? How does the trip change each of them?
4. At several points in the novel, Gio makes jabs at Dwightand the way that his financial success is on display duringthe vacation. Allie suggests that Gio’s ability to providefor his family might be a sensitive point for him,saying, “Everyone has different emotional triggers, and evenif they don’t make sense to the rest of us, it’s important torespect them” (p. 109). What is this moment in the novelsaying about both Allie and Gio? And do you agree withAllie’s assessment?
5. Savannah has many, many witty lines over the courseof the novel. Did you h see more