The House of the Wind
A legendary ruin. An ancient mystery. Will unveiling the past transform the future?
San Francisco, 2007. Madeline Moretti is grieving after her fiancé's death. Nothing brings her joy any more, and Maddie’s grandmother, a fiery Italian, sends her to Tuscany to heal. Here, Maddie is immersed in the mystery of a ruined villa. Destroyed centuries ago in a legendary storm on the Eve of St. Agnes, it has been known ever since as the Casa al Vento—the House of the Wind.
Tuscany, 1347. Mia hasn’t spoken since her mother’s death and lives in silence with her beloved aunt. One dark night, a couple seeks refuge in their villa. Accustomed to welcoming passing pilgrims, Mia is entranced by the young bride’s radiance and compassion but mystified by her reluctance to reveal even her name. Where has she come from, and why must her presence be a secret?
Centuries apart, each searching for a way to step into her future, both Mia and Maddie will be haunted by the myth of the young woman who walked unscathed from the ruins of the House of the Wind.
- Washington Square Press |
- 480 pages |
- ISBN 9781416586265 |
- March 2012
Reading Group Guide
In The House of the Wind, Titania Hardie weaves together two intriguing narratives: that of San Francisco–based human rights lawyer Maddie Moretti—whose life takes an unexpected and devastating turn—and a trio of courageous women in medieval Italy. Seeking solace at a Tuscan villa, Maddie becomes fascinated by an ancient mystery and finds that, by looking to the past, she just might be able to step into a new future.
Topics & Questions for Discussion
1. What do you think of Maddie as a lawyer? How do her experiences working on the Stormtree case influence her personally,particularly her interactions with Marilu and Neva?
2. Maddie sees her situation after Christopher’s death as “a premature widowhood” (p. 21). In what ways does her youth make it both easier and more difficult to deal with losing Christopher?
3. How does Nonna in particular help Maddie through her grief?
4. Reread Isabella’s conversation with Signora Angela about Maddie’s birth chart. How accurate do the s see more