The Original Modern Reader's Japanese-English Character Dictionary
Awarded the 1969 Prize for the Society of the Promotion of International Cultural Relations, this is the most comprehensive Japanese dictionary of its kind. Containing Japanese–English and English–Japanese sections, it is an essential reference tool for serious students studying the Japanese language or for businesspeople and tourists wishing to learn Japanese before they travel.
Special features include:
- Lists over 5,000 carefully selected characters with their 10,000+ current readings and almost 70,000 compounds in current use, al with concise English definitions.
- Scientifically arranged by a logical extension of the traditional radical system so as to make the finding of a given character almost fool–proof, saving hours of time.
- Makes provision for quickly finding characters either in their traditional or their modern and often greatly altered forms, thus serving for both prewar and postwar literature.
- Includes 14 valuable appendices giving (1) instructions for the most efficient use of the dictionary, (2) discussions of the written language in general and particularly of its recent and far–reaching official modifications, and (3) much helpful information that readers in East Asian fields have heretofore had to search for in many different places.
- Contains an on–kun index which makes it not only a reader's dictionary but also a writer's dictionary.