This reading group guide for The Other Side of Paradise
by Staceyann Chin includes discussion questions and ideas for enhancing your book club. The suggested questions are intended to help your reading group find new and interesting angles and topics for your discussion. We hope that these ideas will enrich your conversation and increase your enjoyment of the book. Questions for Discussion
1. Though The Other Side of Paradise
is filled with unforgettable stories, which scenes were the most memorable for you? Which were the most shocking, the most inspiring, the funniest?
2. Discuss the significance of the title and what it means to Staceyann. What does paradise mean to Staceyann? How does her depiction of Jamaica compare to what you know about the country?
3. Grandma Bernice was a religious woman and Staceyann was raised to put her faith in God. Discuss the role of religion in the communities that Staceyann grew up in. How did the religious beliefs of the people around her manifest themselves in Staceyann’s life? Discuss Staceyann’s relationship to religion.
4. Delano tries to explain to Staceyann that they are different because they are “Chiney Royal” and are therefore “whiter” than most people (p. 16). Discuss the different ways people in the book talk about race. Are race and class related? How so?
5. The memoir is dedicated to Sta