A Reading Group Guide to Toothiana, Queen of the Tooth Fairy Armies
By William Joyce Discussion Questions
1. Katherine often thought about Pitch and his daughter. She remembers the look of anguish on Pitch’s face as he looked at his daughter’s picture. She longs to be loved as deeply as Pitch’s daughter had been loved. She wonders if this love can only be felt between parent and child. She believes she has no family and compares herself to Nightlight, who also has no family. Discuss Katherine’s beliefs about families. Does Katherine have a family? What constitutes a family?
2. Katherine describes herself as “betwixt and between.” What does that mean? Is this a normal feeling? What is happening to a person during this particular time of one’s life?
3. Katherine notices many changes among her companions. North had become quieter and more contemplative when no one was looking. Nightlight was sad and melancholy, and even Bunnymund seemed to change his opinion of humans. What was causing these changes? Are they for better or for worse?
4. Nightlight captures a tear from Katherine. What did Nightlight see in the tear to cause him great concern, and at the same time, confusion? What does Nightlight do with the tear?
5. Nightlight thought in simple terms: things were either good or bad. The Guardians were good, Pitch was bad. Wha