The discussion questions that follow are designed to enhance your group’s discussion of White Horse, a post-apocalyptic thriller chronicling one woman’s quest to nurture those she holds dear against the backdrop of a shocking, new world.
Topics & Questions for Discussion
1. Did you like White Horse
2. Discuss the importance of Greek Mythology in White Horse
3. Why do post-apocalyptic themes in stories like this seem to resonate with the American reader?
4. Why was Zoe afraid to open the jar? Why was it put in Zoe’s apartment? How are the jar and its contents similar to Pandora’s Box? What would you say is the real Pandora’s Box in this story?
5. How would you characterize Zoe’s relationship with Nick Rose both before and after he goes to war? What are some of the complications between them? What motivates Zoe’s resistance to his overtures? What causes her to change her mind? Why does she lie to him about the jar?
6. Why is Zoe willing to trek across the globe to pursue Nick, and yet she is unable to read the letter he left her, despite that being the practical thing to do? Can you empathize with or justify her potentially lethal decision?
7. Why was Zoe afraid to read Nick’s letter?
8. Why does the Swiss refer to Zoe’s unborn child as a monster, and yet obsess over claiming it as his own? What is the signif