Individually and collectively, today's female practitioners are changing the face of Buddhism today, as surely as Buddhist practice is transforming each one of their lives.In Women Practicing Buddhism
, you'll meet a diverse sampling of contemporary Buddhist women, from those who are crucial to the community's organizational fabric to others who infuse their art and activism with the Dharma.
Women Practicing Buddhism
- Author and social activist bell hooks
- Composer, singer, filmmaker, choreographer, and director Meredith Monk
- American-born Tibetan Buddhist nun Karma Lekshe Tsomo
- former Tricycle editor Helen Tworkov
- Jane Hirshfield, prize-winning poet, translator, and essayist
- Pat Enkyo O'Hara, abbot of NYC's Village Zendo
- and many more.
is a kind of mosaic portrait of the Buddhist women's movement, revealing some of the many ways that the Dharma returns the embrace of those women who are coming to it and making it their own.